Friday, October 2, 2009

NortonSysWorks crashed PC. WinXP broken. Can I fix w/o reinstalling XP?

Hello all, Norton SystemWorks 2006 crashed while instalilng on my PC and I had to hard boot to get the thing back up. I was able to log back into Windows XP (Home Edition with Service Pack 2) but all my desktop icons had been turned into .lnk files that don't do anything. I can't run anything, not even the DOS prompt, from the desktop. Can't view "My Computer." I can boot up to Windows in Safe Mode and in "previously working" mode but get the same .lnk icons there too.



I spoke with Symantec tech support, they said to call Sony (pc mfr). Sony said to take PC to store, get it backed up, then reinstall Windows.



For those of you that know, does it sound like this is my only option?



Also, I have all my important data, photo, and music files stored on the D drive. Can I reinstall Windows without affecting the D-drive? For example--would reinstalling Windows overwrite the current contents of D or would it be relatively safe to NOT backup that particular drive?



Thanks very much!



NortonSysWorks crashed PC. WinXP broken. Can I fix w/o reinstalling XP?computers



sadly you need to do a backup if you still have your data files intact, and then reinstall windows. What sony told you is right. But you can backup your computer yourself if you have enough blank disks on hand. It will cost about 80 bucks if you take it to a computer shop and let them do it.



NortonSysWorks crashed PC. WinXP broken. Can I fix w/o reinstalling XP?hijack this



If you can access System Restore, i would try that first.



(Start %26gt;%26gt; All Programs %26gt;%26gt; Accessories %26gt;%26gt; System Tools %26gt;%26gt; System Restore )



Your CD Drive should be okay if that's your D: drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment