Monday, October 5, 2009

What is the fastest download configuration when downloading torrents? Is there any good tutorials?

I have followed portforward and porttrigger.com and I am still having problems. I am using Utorrent to download torrents, A WRT54GS v4.0 as my router which has third party software (tofu 13b by hyperwart), Norton Systemworks as my firewall and anti-virus/spyware and trying to use porttrigger by porttrigger.com in order to maximize my downloading capabilities. Does anyone have a good configuration for the equipment I am using or does anyone know which settings work best in norton, utorrent and hyperwart (the router itself)? If not, does anyone know of any sites which will explain torrent downloading and how to get it's full capabilities? I am an expert at computers and windows networking. I just don't understand what I am missing here? If anyone has any good hacks or suggestions on amazing downloading setup please let me know I have gone round and round with this issue. Maybe I am over analyzing? Thank you so much for those who take the time to answer. My family appreciates it.



Joey



What is the fastest download configuration when downloading torrents? Is there any good tutorials?antispam



I can't really help you with the router specific stuff because I don't own one of those myself, but something that a lot of people don't know to do for best BitTorrent downloads is to implement the '80% rule". Because when using BitTorrent there's a lot of traffic going up from your machine as well as down from other people, your upstream connection can often get swamped simply through sending out data that other people request. If this happens your download speeds will drop through the floor because your client doens't get a chance to request any file pieces you yourself need. To stop this happening it's strongly recommended you cap the global amount of upstream bandwidth your client's allowed to use to about 80% of your max upstream capability. So, if you've only got a 256kb upstream like me, you'd cap it at around 208kb (or around 25kBps because the torrent client tend to quote number in kilobytes rather than kilobits).



So, for uTorrent specifically, you want to go into the preferences, then the Connection section and set the "Global maximum upload rate" to about 80% of your upstream bandwidth (in kilobytes as I said).



As for a general guide to BT, try this:



http://www.bittorrentguide.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment