Monday, October 5, 2009

Networking XP Pro with Vista Home Premium?

I have a XP Pro desktop and Dell Vista Home Premium notebook connected to a DLink DI-707. My Vista can do everything [see, map, copy/ delete/ move/ create files] on the XP; the XP lists the Vista under the Entire Windows Network/MS Windows Network, but when I try to expand or connect to a shared folder I get a permissions error.



I have set up the Workgroup, installed the LLT patch, tried the NetBios over TCP/IP with IMHosts off and still can't get the XP to read anything on the Vista.



I am really confused as to what I have forgotten to do/ what I've done incorrectly. I've been to many, many MS Vista help pages and searched answer pages like this one.



User names are different on each computer, XP has Norton SystemWorks and Vista has McAffy Secuity Center. Any detailed step-by-step guidance would be greatly appreciated.



Networking XP Pro with Vista Home Premium?spyware removal



1) enable simple file sharing on Vista computer.



2) disable McAffy(everything) on Vista, map the folder, then enable McAffy.



3) make sure you have the same user/pass on both machines.



Hope that works, let me know if you need more help.

No comments:

Post a Comment