Monday, October 5, 2009

Whats Wrong with my computer!?

Sigh...



Having to fix my parents computer..



Norton systemworks is installed on this pc, i turn it on, log in and i get several messages about norton files being corrupted or missing. I am unable to uninstall it. When bringing up the add/remove page, it wont ever list all the programs for uninstall/etc. The computer will freeze if i click on the start menu tab. Ive been running new tasks using task manager though. Ive disabled norton from popping up with its error msgs. Ive ran ad-Aware, ewido, Kaspersky to search for virus/spyware. It will stop scanning after a certain time and remain stuck at that point.



In event viewer for system "the hard drive has a bad block" theres a event with this every second lol



Ive used disk defrager, disk cleanup,



Scandisk/chckdisk indicates nothing wrong, neither does Hard drive inspector (one of my tools)



Not sure where to proceed from here...



Whats Wrong with my computer!?windows



Well, Norton is notarious for creating havoc on machines, slowing them down, corrupted files. They used to be the best - and they've gotton too invasive with system files. This is what I would do:



1) uninstall norton



2) clean disk %26 defrag



3) go to ms config in Start/Run and go to Start-up tab and stop Norton from running (now test your computer)



4) Bad block can mean real hard drive problem. Scandisk doesn't find them all. I went to my mfg site and downloaded their hard drive tester (on a floppy but I'm sure you could put on boot CD) and booted with it. It had 5 levels of test.....on the 3rd level, it found the problem and the message said "error found - is fixable - would you like to fix it?". I said yes and had no problems after that. Wouldn't hurt to do that anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment